- What is MeMoves™?
MeMoves™ is patented combinations of music, movement, simple geometric shapes in three dimensions, and tongue twisters for your body. A kind of Western t’ai chi or yoga set to music, MeMoves™ challenges the brain in unique ways that increase the ability to focus and learn, while relaxing and centering the user.
- How do I start using MeMoves™?
Insert the DVD, choose a category from the menu (Joy, Calm or Focus) and select a sequence. Have your child mirror (imitate) the people on the monitor. They can use the same side of their body as the performer, or the opposite side. Try to keep time with the moves and the music. It is okay not to do each movement perfectly.
- Should MeMoves™ be done seated or standing?
MeMoves™ can be performed standing or seated, whatever is most comfortable.
- Can MeMoves™ be performed by a group?
MeMoves™ can be used alone or in a group. Ideally, families participate in MeMoves™ together. The steady tempos, varied movements and intergenerational cast make it accessible to everyone; young and old, with a wide range of abilities.
- How old does my child need to be before they can use MeMoves™?
MeMoves™ is designed for kids as young as 3 years old, or as old as 93.
- When is the best time for my child to do MeMoves™?
• Before school
• Prior to quiet, indoor activity
• Before studying and homework
• In the car
• Preceding doctor visits or therapy sessions
• Before stressful events or anytime anxiety is present
• When you or the caregiver need a quick break
MeMoves™ may be done several times a day if desired: Two to four sequences three times a day works well. It may become difficult to concentrate and be fully engaged if MeMoves™ is practiced for periods longer than 15 minutes.
- Does my child need special clothes or equipment?
No Special Clothes. No Special Equipment. You just need to be able to move comfortably.
- Why does MeMoves™ include puzzle cards?
MeMoves™ Puzzle Cards allow your child (or a group) to benefit from MeMoves™ without the need for a DVD player. They may be used in combination with the MeMoves™ music CD, with your own selection of music or on their own without music. For group use, separate the MeMoves™ Puzzle Cards from the ring attachment and distribute to individual users.
- My child experiences auditory sensitivity.
Can they use MeMoves™ without the music?
If your child experiences auditory sensitivity on a particular sequence, avoid the sequence or play the sequence with the volume turned down.
- Do the sequences in MeMoves™ need to be performed in any particular order?
No. Each individual will find sequence combinations that work best for them. In many cases, parents, teachers and therapists begin MeMoves™ sessions with an easier sequence, and then progress to a more difficult sequence. However, there is no wrong way to do MeMoves™.
- When is it appropriate for my child to perform more complicated sequences?
There are no set rules for when to advance to a new sequence. Most users begin with an easier, familiar sequence and finish a more challenging set. It is perfectly safe (and fun) for your child to do sequences they find challenging, if not impossible, to do correctly.
- Why are there performers of all ages (adults, seniors and kids) on the MeMoves™ DVD?
Increasingly, educators are finding value in intergenerational learning. Extensive classroom use shows children enjoy seeing people of different ages, and create their own "back stories" for performers. The intergenerational cast leads to a richer, more robust experience, supporting social and emotional intelligence.
- Can my child get hurt doing these movements?
The movements (sometimes referred to as body puzzles) in MeMoves™ were created by a team of professionals, and designed to be safe above all else. However, individual children may have physical conditions that would limit their participation in specific moves.
If your child is unable to perform a movement within a sequence, wait until a suitable movement is presented before participating. If you have any questions about your child’s physical limitations, please consult your doctor.
“..calming, transforming, unprecedented focus accomplishment, and magical…MeMoves is a treasure.”
Claire S.Green Executive Director – Parent’s Choice Foundation